Is Direct Mail Still Relevant?
Direct mail delivers printed promotional or informational messages right to the doorstep of your target audience. Weather it’s a postcard, flyer or brochure, direct mail is a marketing tool that can seamlessly connect the physical and digital attributes of your brand to create a stronger, more lasting bond between you and your customer.
The US Postal Service reports that 98 percent of Americans check their mail daily, and 79 percent of consumers say that they typically act on direct mail immediately after reading it. Direct mail is a time-tested, trusted method that, when used in conjunction with other advertising mediums as part of an integrated marketing strategy, can help your business to better reach current and potential customers.
So what things make direct mail relevant as part of an overall marketing strategy? Here are four unique benefits of using direct mail campaigns:
1. Personal- Receiving a personalized message sent directly from you makes your customers feel special and valued. This direct contact initiates or enhances a relationship with your customers and can make your target audience feel like you value them individually and that you understand their interests and needs.
2. Targeted- Direct mail campaigns can be highly targeted, with a mailing list tailored specifically to the members of the audience you are trying to reach with your message. Mail gives you the ability to segment your audience and specifically target groups or individuals that you feel are most likely to respond. How you choose to segment the audience to send your direct mail to depends on your business. Target audiences can be defined by age demographic, geographical location, proximity to your business, home or business owners, families with children of a certain age, etc. The list is virtually endless.
3. Tangible- Direct mail pieces are held directly by members of your target audience, which literally establishes a physical connection to your business and your brand. A direct mail piece is something real and familiar that may even be kept for reference. Some direct mail pieces are even displayed on refrigerators, meaning your message stays in front of your audience longer.
4. Versatile- With a variety of different formats to choose from, direct mail has several different applications and is a suitable medium for promoting a wide range of businesses and services. From brochures and magazines to postcards and pamphlets, there are many options to chose from when determining the best medium for your message.
What makes an effective direct mail piece?
When it comes to creating an effective direct mail campaign, there are a few proven tactics that seem to make all the difference.
- Attention grabbing visuals- 94% of customers judge direct mail pieces by appearance
- Short, sweet and to the point- in the age of immediate gratification and all-things digital, readers typically respond best to simple, easy to read information that they can digest quickly.
- A strong call to action- Use a strong call to action to engage your audience and point them directly to your website.
Some people believe that traditional advertising methods are a thing of the past. However, traditional marketing mediums, like radio, television and print advertising, still have their place and serve a unique purpose in modern advertising strategies. The most effective way to make marketing work for your business is to weave traditional and digital efforts together to reach your target audience exactly where they are. The most effective marketing strategies utilize and leverage a balanced mix of both traditional and digital advertising.
Could direct mail be a viable option for your business? Contact the pros at Splash and find out how you can use direct mail as part of your integrated marketing campaign to help you better reach your target audience.